Senior Software Engineer, Backend
We are looking for a Backend Software Engineer to complement our robotics heavy engineering team. This individual will build out shared software infrastructure for use by our customer facing application teams. We value and foster a collaborative environment where engineers build groundbreaking software that makes industrial robots capable of responding to the process and product variation that today require human intervention. Symbio’s customers are the largest global automotive manufacturers in the world.
- Design and implement software infrastructure needed for advanced robotic control.
- Core frameworks
- Interprocess communication
- Process control
- Design, implement, and maintain microservice APIs.
- Continuously improve the automation infrastructure and test coverage required to meet strict uptime requirements.
- Partner with robotics engineers to implement extensible and reusable subsystems.
- Partner with application teams to deliver solutions and incorporate feedback.
- Assist with DevOps on an as needed basis.
- Demonstrate software engineering leadership through code quality, test rigor, documentation, and code review.
- Python 3
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with the Python language and ecosystem.
- At least one web framework: Django, Flask, Bottle, Tornado.
- Automated testing: Pytest, unittest
- Supporting tools: setuptools, flake8, pylint, mypy
- At least one RDBMS (Postgres, MySQL, etc.).
- At least one NoSQL system (MongoDB, Cassandra, CouchDB)
- Docker / Docker Compose
- Best practices for writing containerized applications.
- Shell scripting (Bash or Zsh)
- Capable of self-administering a development machine.
- Software Engineering
- Solid understanding of object-oriented design patterns and best practices.
- Experience with at least one continuous integration system (Jenkins, Travis, GitLab, CircleCI, TeamCity, Bamboo).
- Hands-on experience working on an Agile team.
- Ability to do some basic level devops and systems administration.
- Release management
- Experience with data modeling and time series databases
- Analyze and fix real-time performance issues.
- Delivering installed software (vs. cloud only).
Software Engineering Manager
- Masters or Bachelors degree in Computer Science or Information Systems (preferred, but not a deal breaker).
- Minimum 5 years of backend software experience using a variety of the technologies listed above.
Automation enables the best of human-machine collaboration. Symbio Robotics has gathered a team of innovators with the broad range of backgrounds necessary to endow industrial robotics with artificial intelligence. With the promise of quality, reliability, and efficiency, we deliver production solutions powering the next generation of industrial automation to global automotive OEMs and tier 1 suppliers.
Symbio Robotics is dedicated to building a diverse team that is as complex and creative as the solutions we engineer for industrial automation applications. We are actively committed to engaging all voices and experiences in building the future of automation